Interview with Hum Creative
Kate Harmer is the devilishly elegant founder and creative director of Hum Creative. She also happens to be an accomplished designer and illustrator, working for a host of mega clients like Starbucks. All while raising a child with her musician husband Nick Harmer, bassist for Death Cab for Cutie. Speaking to us from her home in Seattle, she gave us a little insight into her work process.
What have been the major milestones in your career?
Illustrating a cover of The Stranger. Quitting my (then) dream job to go to grad school. Starting Hum. Moving into a real office. Offering benefits. Doing this interview.
Which historical figure's life best captures the spirit of your work? Asked by Cut
Amelia Earhart. She went down doing what she loved. (Or maybe she didn’t?)
What is the best constraint you’ve ever had to work within?
1. How much of your day do you spend working?
9 hours max now that I have a kiddo.
2. Where is your ideal work environment?
A well-lit studio with a view of the water.
3. What do you hope to get across with your work?
A human warmth.
4. What inspires you?
Working with my buds at Hum.
5. What's the secret to a successful day's work?
A list of bite-sized to-dos.
6. Is there anything in your life that you can't live without?
A great running mix.
7. Is there anything about you that people might not know?
I’ve driven across the country 4 times.
8. What would be your dream project?
Rebranding the Space Needle.
9. What is the most time-consuming aspect of your work?
10. What legacy would you like to leave behind?
I’m too young to be concerned with my legacy!