Interview with JAC&
Not content with just one venture, designer and entrepreneur, Jacinta Lippold, is founder of 43 Derby Street, a collaborative work space, and design studio JAC&.
The type of person who needs to be working on several projects at the same time, Jacinta spoke to us about the importance of organisation, and the wisdom of Dolly Parton.
What have been the major milestones in your career?
At the beginning of this year I launched 43 Derby Street; a collaborative shared workspace and flexible space for hire. It was a really big risk and it ate up a lot of time that would have otherwise been spent on JAC&. Thankfully, everything worked out better than planned and I learnt a lot about the upside of taking risk.
The second was hiring my first permanent employee. I’d been working in JAC& solo for 10 years, so this was a huge change personally and professionally. I’d had great freelance help and am lucky to have a strong network of collaborators and suppliers, but now that I have Sara on board I’m not quite sure how I ever did things without her.
What is your favourite quote? — Asked by Anagrama
Tough question! I have a lot of favourites. I love a lot of things that Dolly Parton says, this quote is particularly brilliant though – “Find out who you are and do it on purpose.”
- — How have you become better?
1. How much of your day do you spend working?
7-8 hours (Tuesday-Friday, no working on Mondays).
2. Where is your ideal work environment?
43 Derby Street, of course!
3. What do you hope to get across with your work?
4. What inspires you?
5. What's the secret to a successful day's work?
6. Is there anything in your life that you can't live without?
My family, Patrick (partner) and Suki (dog).
7. Is there anything about you that people might not know?
I have a Picasso sketch tattooed on my ribcage which is now sold as an IKEA print.
8. What would be your dream project?
Something off-trend. I like unexpected markets and the ability to shift perception.
9. What is the most time-consuming aspect of your work?
10. What legacy would you like to leave behind?
The places I have created and the memories within them.